Friday, January 24, 2014

Interview with Kami Garcia & Margart Stohl!


**This is an interview I did with Kami Garcia and Margart Stohl back in 2012 for the Israeli fans of Beautiful Creatures.

Kami & Margaret in the set of Beautiful Creatures


1. How is it to write in a pair? (Pointers; to Kami- writing in a pair or
writing alone - which was easier? How was the experience of writing alone
after three books {and a fourth on the way}? To Margaret- are you planning
to write a book on your own? Both- How did you split the work? Etc.) 

M: Yes, my solo series is called ICONS, and the first book releases in Spring 2013, from Little Brown. My same editor is working with me, and in many ways the process is quite similar; with Kami we would swap writing back and forth with each other, but still write alone. Now I rely on my husband a bit more as a critique partner!

K: Writing the first book in my solo series, Unbreakable (The Legion: Book one, releasing fall 2013 from Little, Brown) wasn’t that different since Margie and I never really sat in a room together and wrote. My writing process is still very collaborative, as I have two fantastic critique partners, Holly Black and Carrie Ryan. I also have several beta readers, and our editor of the Beautiful Creatures Novels, Julie Scheina, who give me great feedback. 

2. Is there anything you can tell us about Beautiful Redemption? Or maybe
about what won't be in the book? (that could be really funny)


M: Our last book is very different from the others, but is all about everything that has come before. It's fair to say the stakes have never been higher. What you won't see: everyone suddenly enrolling in a magical boarding school, fighting on a tv reality show, or having to choose between a vampire and a werewolf for a boyfriend, though!

K: Beautiful Redemption is very real. Although there are a lot of happy moments in the book, everything is not tied up perfectly with a bow at the end--like real life, there are joys and sorrows and wins and losses. Since Margie covered Magical boarding schools and vampires, I’ll say you will also not see any angels or any ghosts who fall in love with humans in the book. 

3. How is it to write in a male's perspective instead of a female's point
of view? (Pointers; do you think you managed to understand a teenage guys
mind and the way he would think? How did you manage to preserve the
delicate balance of a guy that is sensitive but not feminine? What is your
secret?)

M: Kami and I have 6 brothers between us. When we were teens, we were surrounded by more boys than girls, and I think that helped. I have 3 daughters now, though, so what I wanted to do was give them a boy character who was truly decent guy. Someone they could love but also respect.

K: Margie touched on the fact that we were both surrounded by guys growing up, but I will also add that we knew a lot of good guys. We wanted girls to see a good guy who was still brave and willing to take chances for the people he cares about. 

Israeli poster for Beautiful Creatures film


4. To start with this question I must start by saying congratulations
about the new cast members of the Beautiful Creatures movie!
I know that usually the authors aren't really involved in the process of
making a book into a movie, but some of them are.
I wanted to know how much are you involved in the process.

M: Thank you! We really respect the Beautiful Creatures movie folks, and they've been great about sharing the casting process with us. Kami and I have our hands full with the books, though, so we focus on our work and let the wonderful people at Alcon, Warner and Summit focus on theirs! 

K: We have a lot of faith in the team behind the Beautiful Creatures movie. We have met with them several times, provided the director Richard LaGravenese with over 400 reference photos, and found them to be an incredibly creative and collaborative group of people. Personally, I can’t wait to see the movie. 

5. What advice would you give aspiring authors?

M: Don't give up. Learn how to finish what you start. Sit your butt in the chair and put in the time. Pay attention to the world around you; notice the details of your own life. And good luck!

K: I think the most important thing is to finish. If you don’t finish a draft, you have nothing to work with. Force yourself to just finish without constantly editing, and read everything you can. That said, I try to read good books because I feel that good writing and structure are absorbed into our minds through a kind of “writerly” osmosis. 

Hebrew cover of Beautiful Creatures


I know that I can ask only five questions, but if you would like to say
something to the fans in Israel that will be absolutely great!

M: Hello to our wonderful Israeli readers! We are so happy to share Ethan and Lena and the Caster world with you! Feel free to talk to us on twitter, facebook, or at our websites. We love our international readers -- so thank you! 

K: I completely agree with Margie. We feel so lucky to have readers around the world, and we love it when they reach out and share their thoughts, fan art, and excitement with us. Thank you so much for reading!

~*~*~

Hebrew cover for Beautiful Darkness


No comments:

Post a Comment